Oil Tank Maintenance May 21 2021
HOW OFTEN SHOULD I CHECK MY TANK?
We recommend regularly checking your tank and system throughout the year, particularly:
- During and after refilling the tank
- In early autumn before you need to rely on your tank in winter.
In addition to this, an annual tank and system check is recommended to be undertaken by an experienced and qualified person.
WHAT SHOULD I BE CHECKING FOR?
The smell of oil, petrol or solvent both outside and inside your house.
- Black stains - no matter how small, as even the tiniest amounts of oil can mean a leak that will only get worse.
- Dead grass or plants around the tank.
- Corrosion on a metal tank
WHAT CAN I DO TO PREVENT DAMAGE/LEAKS?
- Make a note of your regular usage and how often you have to fill up your tank. If this increases dramatically this may indicate a leak, check for leaks before filling your tank.
- Paint metal tanks regularly to avoid the metal corroding.
- Ensure the fill points are clear of obstructions and are tamper proof.
- Ensure the fill pipe has no cracks and replace if damaged is found.
- Make sure your oil tank is situated on stable ground so that tipping cannot occur.
- Inspect the area around and above the tank and remove any items which may damage the tank if they fall on to or against it.
- Do not order more oil than your tank can hold.
- Consider investing in a bunded oil tank, these are a ‘tank within a tank’ which effectively contains any oil leaks from the inner tank within the outer tank.
If you require a new oil tank, would like to know more or wish to arrange a maintenance inspection of your oil tank, please:
- Call 01467 623010, or
- email email@example.com